What do our trials mean?


October 14, 2008


Taylor is reading J. I. Packer's Knowing God and asked me to read chapter 9 because he thought it'd encourage me :). Wow did it ever! I especially loved this quote from page 97:
Our Perplexing Trials
“We should not...be too taken aback when unexpected and upsetting and discouraging things happen to us now. What do they mean? Simply that God in his wisdom means to make something of us which we have not attained yet, and He is dealing with us accordingly.

Perhaps He means to strengthen us in patience, good humor, compassion, humility or meekness, by giving us some extra practice in exercising these graces under especially difficult conditions. Perhaps He has new lessons in self-denial and self-distrust to teach us. Perhaps He wishes to break us of complacency, or unreality, or undetected forms of pride and conceit. Perhaps His purpose is simply to draw us closer to Himself in conscious communion with Him; for it is often the case, as all the saints know, that fellowship with the Father and the Son is most vivid and sweet, and Christian joy is greatest, when the cross is heaviest. Or perhaps God is preparing us for forms of service of which at present we have no inkling.”
Lastly on page 98-

" We may be frankly bewildered at things that happen to us, but God knows exactly what He is doing, and what He is after, in His handling of our affairs." Amen!

6 comments:

meghann said...

I have to re-read that chapter every so often , especially in a challenging season....refreshes my perspective!

Lindsay said...

Amen!!
I better go drink my water;)

Reesa said...

Very Encouraging! Speaks volumes to me regarding loosing my job last week. How easy it is to be encouraged in the easy things, how sweet it is to be at the feet of God in the difficult things. He is always faithful! Reesa..;o)

JJandFive said...

I love that book : )

The VanLue House of Happy Chaos said...

Ok....convicted. Now going to get that very book off the shelf and read Chapter 9!!:)

Madeira girl said...

Thanks Gisele for the wonderful reminder! Hey, I am going out of town next week, but maybe we can get something on the calendar for the next week or so? I miss you too and would love to catch up! Do you do coffee dates or prefer daytime? Let me know!
love you!